Saturday, April 10, 2010

Plan B Continued - Collaborative Problem Solving

As I read over my blog from last time, I realized that I neglected to explain why Collaborative Problem Solving (CPS) is called "Plan B". The idea is simple. Plan A is what we are currently doing with challenging students. Since it is not working, we need to move to "Plan B".

In the book, Lost at School, Dr. Greene fully defines Plan A and even a Plan C, but the main focus is CPS, or Plan B.

Plan A - This is a typical school plan. Lists of consequences used when students mess up. The system is designed to be a deterrent for bad behavior. This plan works for the large majority of the students. The students who possess the skills to adapt to changing situations and who are typically successful in school. The more challenging students are not being served by Plan A. They are getting suspended, expelled, etc. The list of consequences that they have experienced is very long and yet they continue to misbehave. As educators, I see a choice. Give up on them or move to Plan B.

Plan B - I am excited about exploring CPS both here and in the classrooms I visit. I am curious and more than a little hopeful.

Plan C - This one is interesting in that at first it seems like it is not a plan at all. This plan involved ignoring behaviors. After reading further, I realized that Plan C can actually be done in conjunction with Plan B. To give an example: While a student is working hard on the skills s/he needs in order to stay in class without violent outbursts, we may ignore the fact that all of the homework is not complete. I kind of think about it like divide and conquer. We may not be able to fix everything at once, but if we chip away at it, one skill at a time, we will see progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment