Thursday, April 8, 2010

Plan B

So, one of the books I am reading was a recommendation from one of the math teachers I work with in NYC. It is called Lost at School by Ross W. Greene. I am not halfway yet, but I feel compelled to share a little of what I am learning.

After being a teacher for a number of years and now in my work with new teachers, one main challenge eventually boils down to a few students who are especially challenging. It is easy to start blaming - the student, the parents, the year's previous teacher, etc. for the issues that the student is having. The thing that impresses me about the content of this book is that all of the blaming is set aside. After all, the blaming may make for good talk in the teacher's lounge, but it does nothing to tackle the problem, and the problem is huge. These students and their teachers are at risk.

The students in question are often called "at-risk". I think that at-risk students lead us to at-risk teachers if the problems are not addressed properly. The situation is very frustrating, especially to new teachers. If the situation doesn't improve, our teachers are at-risk of quitting, becoming complacent, and becoming victims of poor attitudes.

Now, to "Plan B". Dr. Greene defines Plan B as Collaborative Problem Solving (CPS). I haven't finished the book, so I am not going to try to fully analyze it yet, but the basic idea is that challenging students are in need of skills. They don't want to misbehave, they lack the skills to behave appropriately. And, these skills can be taught.

I can't wait. I will read on.

No comments:

Post a Comment